06 October 2008

Wolves

Twice this weekend I heard the same line from 2 different people. A line about crying wolf. Needless to say, I am displeased.

I was talking about my cold to my mom & she said it was hard to take me seriously or even to listen about it since I'm always talking about being unwell. Since something is always wrong with me. It's like the boy who cried wolf. I pointed out that unlike the boy I wasn't just bored, I really an unwell. She said, yeah I know that, but you know what I mean. I dropped it, but in all honesty, no I don't know what you mean.

Then last night my roommate was complaining about catching the cold Toad & I have & how it was so horrible. I told her maybe she should follow the advice she gave me to just suck it up. She tossed out the wolf line. I told her than unlike the boy I really am constantly being attacked by wolves. I am a wolf magnet. She said you can't really feel like crap all the time, no one can. Uh, with all due respect she's 100% wrong, I do feel like crap all the time.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sometimes, I'm sorry to say, people just suck. Many, many hugs to you. This is why I seek out other chronic pain (and especially EDS) folks online. They totally Get It(tm).

I've taken to buying extra copies of the "Beyond Casseroles" book from the invisible illness folks, so that I can give them to people who feed me that bullspit. After all, "If you can't say anything nice....."

Hugs and prayers,
hedwyg

Queen Slug said...

hedwyg - It's why I blog. I have to talk about these issues, the daily problems, all of it. It's not good to let it all bottle up & not have anyone validate what you feel. I have to know other people can relate, that I'm not alone in dealing with EDS.

Elizabeth McClung said...

I would like to be nice but those people are asses. I had a boss who becuase she never got sick actually believed that everyone who called in the cold or flu was really just hung over. Honestly believed that. People think, "How can you be so ill and get something else?" or, "Hey, I've been understanding about her being ill for X months now, isn't it time to move onto a new topic." Well sorry, that isn't the way disabilities work. I seriously wonder if people with ALS or other conditions get this too - don't work, I've had people leave, including relations becuase "I'm so negative, and just focused on negativity" - that was what they said after I passed out and finally came to. So maybe it is code for: "I don't know what to say so I am about to open my mouth and make an ass out of myself" since you complain of feeling bad and end up the next day diagnosised with a disease out of Dickens'. YEah, you aren't crying wolf, it is more like the townspeople are going around saying, "Children, what children, I don't remember any missing children" after numberous wolf attacks.