30 October 2008

Poland's Syndrome Stuff

It seems that the main search that brings people here is Poland's Syndrome, but yet I don't end up posting as much on that as I do the EDS. I think at dx & during the pre-teen/teen years people want to know they aren't alone with PS & want info. So I will try to make a effort to help y'all out.

I was dx'ed at birth, my mom is still trying to decide if it's her fault or not, honestly as an adult I don't think it's anyone's fault. I do not blame anyone for my PS, it's just something that is. As a baby/toddler/young kid I really didn't feel or act different than any other child except for a few things. I obviously didn't crawl, between the PS & the EDS I think that's a given. My handwriting was the worst in the class, I have PS on the right & am a righty. So for parents don't blame yourself, it's wasted energy & there is no reason your young child can't so anything anybody else is doing.

As for teens I got nothing for the guys, just for the girls as far as how to blend in. For you girls go buy a chicken cutlet, ok not a real one but one of those fake silicone boobs you can stuff in your bra. (They really do remind me of a piece of uncooked chicken.) You can pick up a cheap pair on Amazon or eBay, you don't need the fancy ones, just the $20-ish ones will work fine. Your boob size will change a few times so no sense in spending a ton just to toss them out in a year. Also if you're wearing an opaque bra you don't even need them to match your skin. These things last for about 2-3 years. Oh, buy the set, not the singles, that way you always have a back-up boob incase you need it. When/if you buy a new set keep the old ones, you can stack the older-smaller one on the new larger one if you grow again & that way don't have to rush to get a new set right away.

As for current stuff we are trying to help out one of my fingers. The middle finger on my right hand has curved a lot. It was a bit wonky from birth, but it's gotten really wonky as I've aged. I'm not sure how much is due to PS & how much is due to EDS or if it's just the freaky mix of having both. I got a splint to sleep in to help out.


No comments: