21 October 2008

P/T Appt

Went pretty well. She thought my idea of switching the one exercise was great & it works the muscle perfectly, so much for worrying I'd get a talking too. She tried to use one of the Thera-Band things & I tried it for 2 flexes & declared it a no-no for me. I know they are a no-no for most EDS'ers, but I thought I'd give it a shot.

We used the Nu-Step for a bit, but we had to stop because I swear I felt my right kneecap lift up a bit, kinda creepy. The PT tried to brace my kneecap & have it track right, but as soon as she let go it did it again. So we called that machine a no-no for now, we may come back to it later.




Next week is land PT again, then the week after is water PT, this means I have to buy a swimsuit. Aaahhhhhhhhh! Yeah, I gotta get a swimsuit, this should be just like hell.

4 comments:

One Sick Mother said...

I am glad PT is going well so far. Your therapist seems nice.

I have always found PT to be very helpful. Too bad I was fired from mine because I kept having seizures there (exercise is a trigger). If I ever get that lot under control, I am definitely going back. The PTs "got" EDS better than any of the MDs (save the rheumy) did and offered a lot of very practical advice.

GL with it.
OSM

Queen Slug said...

She has been quite nice, but she does seem a bit lost too. Like she doesn't quite know what to do with me since her normal routine would be a whole lotta stretching. It's like you can hear the commentary in her head, "We could try the..., oh wait no we can't, well maybe the..., darn not that either". She does come up with things & we try them & some work & some don't.

I am going to ask her at the next appt what her goals with me are. I just want to know how far she thinks this PT can get me. I guess I'm trying to figure out if my care team is trying to get me "well" again or just to stabilize me so I don't get worse.

One Sick Mother said...

haha Yes my PT was a bit like that. She did adapt.

One of the things I learned from her is what normal Range of Motion is *supposed* to be on many joints. It is weird, and I can never quite stick to normal, but it does help a bit to know what it is, and I do try and watch it with the joints I know to be dodgy.

You could also ask her for some techniques to help with things that are difficult for you, such as how to get up off the floor without wrecking your elbows or looking like a freak.

-OSM

Queen Slug said...

OSM - Why did I not think of that? She always asking what I have problems with. I always answer the big things, walking, steps & anything with hands. I never though to have her teach me how to get up off the floor! I looks like such a freak-show doing that. I don't use my arms at all when I get up since I dislocated both elbows getting up before & since they were both out I was stuck like that til I could get help putting them back. With having a 3 year old I have to sit on the floor.

I do need to learn "normal" too, we have talked about that already, but haven't really done much on it.

Thanks for the suggestion!