14 October 2008

P/T with Ehlers-Danlos & Poland's Syndrome

Yesterday was my 1st PT appt & my therapist (here forth known as K) was pretty nice, plus pretty good I think. She did have a student with, who I really just didn't care for the personality of. I asked right off if she was familiar with EDS & with PS, she said she knew about the hypermobility issues with EDS & asked if I had an vascular issues. As for the PS she asked if I had any webbing & knew it mostly has a hand issue, I told her about the missing muscles as well. I told her I was up for trying anything she wanted to try as long as she understood that if I ask to stop she respect that & understood that resistance stuff wasn't going to be an option. She said of course, you could end up with a dislocation or worse otherwise.

She asked me to move each body part thru it's normal range of motion & as I would move she kept saying "Ok, stop, stop that's far enough." I kind of chuckled after 2-3 of those & said I was sorry, but I had no clue what normal was. Then she placed her hands on a few joints while I moved them & she could feel & hear the crepitus & the student across the room could hear it. That was a bit embarrassing. On my other knee she could feel it slide out & back in to joint & I didn't even realize it had done it. That was my right knee, aka the world famous dump me on the ground all the time knee, so I guess I shouldn't be shocked. She then had me push against her to check over all strength & had me stand on each leg in turn & stand with my eyes closed. My balance isn't 100%, but it's not to bad.

I got to wander up & down the hall, I swing my upper body too much, but I knew that. She hated my hurry walk, (sometimes you have to haul ass when you've got a 3 yr old) which consists of locking my right knee turning my hip fully sideways & locking it then walking fast. I talked to her about the problems with my neck & with how I can't turn to the sides well, that my head doesn't turn much. Well I found out that it turns just fine, I guess it's a totally normal rage of motion, it just doesn't hypermobile anymore.

We did a few exercises that barely counted as moving & I am to practice them at home. She is putting in for me to go over to OT for the assorted "toys" & because PT doesn't do hands, that's OT. She also loves the idea of adding in water PT & is fine with doing that while Toad is in school, which obviously is kick butt for me. :D We will do more land PT for a bit first, then add that. We are doing 1x per week right now.

No comments: