05 September 2008

Naps for the Slacker Queen

I think I need to think about taking a short nap in the afternoon. I know that makes me sound super slacker, but I am already tired all the time so it's not like I could get less productive & maybe I would have some energy in the late afternoon/early evening. I need to be able to get things done & right now I'm too tired. I think I also need to get a better rhythm on my day as well. Perhaps having a set daily routine will help me slog thru getting things done. I kept slacking because I thought I would get better, as that's not going to happen I think I need to come up with some coping techniques for the right now. (Yes, I do know I may be able to get better than I am right now, but I also know that I will always have some days like this or worse & need to be able to function on some level during those phases.) So I think starting next week I'll do a nap in the afternoon when Toad is napping. I can get some chores done while she's at school (or on the days she's not at school we'll do an hour of TV). Maybe that will help.

3 comments:

TeeHart said...

Hey, I nap almost every single day as I too am very tired most of the time. I make a point of not scheduling things in the afternoon so that I don't miss my sleep. It is just a part of my life and I try not to apologize for it. Make sure to shut the ringer off on your phone :)

Anonymous said...

When I'm working from home, I usually take a pain med with my lunch, and then lie down for about an hour. Most days, I don't actually sleep, but I use my ice packs, lie down, and REST. When I don't get my rest-time in, I'm in a lot more pain by evening, and thus a lot crankier. And when I do too much, I end up paying for it by spending a day or two in bed afterward.

So take your naps, don't let yourself feel guilty, and keep taking good care!

From a fellow H-EDSer,
hedwyg

Queen Slug said...

Well if everybody else is doing it, then I can too. ;)

teehart - I think that napping will be something that works well for me. I do wonder what it is about our society that says it's wrong to nap? Why is it I feel like I should feel guilty?

hedwyg - I am home just about everyday so fitting in a nap shouldn't be much trouble. I don't think that I'll end up sleeping everyday, it really is about rest rather than sleep. If I sleep, that's fine, but it's really about taking a short time to allow my muscles & joints a little while to relax.

I had to quit working because any shift I had over 3 hrs meant I was unable to function because of the pain for days afterwords.