13 September 2008

Assistive Walking Devices Epiphany & More Thoughts on Headaches

I just realized that I will probably not be able to use a walker or forearm crutches & I think I know why I have trouble with canes. They are transfer weight from the lower body to the upper body, correct? Where would that weight be redistributed to? Yes to the arms & from the arms where does it go? The back, the shoulder, the pecs & to the side. On the right side I am missing all the muscles on the front & side of my ribcage, which means the weight all ends up on my back & neck which isn't really helpful. Plus, add in that my arms are about 3" different in length & you can see that these devices aren't really an option for me. I don't know where I assumed the weight was going to, but it just didn't dawn on me that you need chest & side muscles to use these & that having arms the same length might be useful for pushing a walker. So I have decided I am going to start saving for a chair for times when walking unassisted isn't an option. It'd be nice if insurance would cover it since I'm pretty sure that my doc would write for it once I point out I can't use anything else, but since I don't need it 100% of the time I know they won't.

Ok so I've been thinking more about the non-stop headache I get. OSM suggested it might be related to Chiari, but I don't think it is. I really don't feel that I have Chiari, but I do think I have a structural issue. I think the issue is more likely to be related to the small bones shifting under the weight of my skull. I remember reading on another blog about a doctor at The Chiari Institute checking for that by having her person sit & the doctor used their hand to "lift" the weight of the head & I tried that with my roommate & my headache was cut by more than 1/2 & we didn't know exactly what we were doing. I do agree that there probably are migraines, but they are a symptom not the problem. I know a regular headache can trigger a migraine & I think the structural issue causes the constant headache & that in turn causes the migraine.

Is it wrong that I wish I didn't have to be my own doctor, that I want someone else to figure all this out rather than me trying to do it?

Oh & just for fun my right knee is jacked. I don't know if it's partially out or if it was & is now back but a tendon/ligament is still pissed about it, but it's driving me insane. I've tried a few things to get it "right" again, but it done't seem to want to be a normal knee. It's been wonky for a few days now & it does hurt, but it's like low level pain or wicked bad discomfort so I've just been dealing with it, but I am tired of this & want my normal level of crap knee back.

1 comment:

my life said...

hello , Are you in Iowa >