03 December 2008

My first day with crutches, sort of

Well today was my first day with crutches, but since it was also a school day I had to have a hand free to hold hand while crossing streets & driveways so I only had 1 crutch. I switched back & forth which leg I matched the crutch up with, I'm not sure which it works best with. If I am only using one it's gonna have to be on my right side, & yes for those of you keeping track that's my Poland's side. Since I have no chest muscles I did find it used back muscles in an odd feeling fashion, not a bad way, but definitely a well worked way. I also found when I matched it up with my left leg I was forced to use my right leg in a more correct way & since I had the crutch I didn't have to worry quiet so much about falling. So I think I am fond of these crutches.

I had been worried that everyone would be staring at me, but most people seemed to pay no mind. Since I live in the midwest where folks were taught far to many manors the world & his granny seemed to want to hold the door open for me. I really prefer to door open buttons since I don't have to worry about hurting a finger holding it while I go thru. Oddly I found more people talked to me, now I wonder if they all thought me strange since I wobbled & staggered a bit. I hope they think I was drunk or whatever, lol.

I got my gym membership today too, that was nice. Now I can go walk their track or do the pool while Toad is in school. :D

1 comment:

Drake said...

Heh...I'm no stranger to crutches... and no fan either. I hate it when you get it all wrong and you kinda "twist" on them instead of going forward...

I used to have an old pair of wooden crutches that I would use whenever I dislocated a knee but they eventually cracked and split and had to be retired. After that, I could only find the new styled ones that doesn't have a support under your arm ... not that I have a lack of strength in my upper body though. That's the one place I have ... or rather had ... no problem with up until recently with this sublax shoulder of mine.

I had actually become used to using my arms to support myself and get myself up instead of my legs and that might be partially the cause of the osteo in my wrists...not to mention the mirriad occasions calling for the use of crutches.

Good luck with the gymming. I my self is now going to a Bio-kinetichs gym.