16 December 2008

How am I?

Well funny you should ask, I have no clue. Because I am unable to work I am on assistance which means I have to jump thru hoops on their timetable rather than my own.

In the very back of my head I liked to keep the thought that everyone is wrong & I don't have EDS & by next summer I'll be able to take up jogging to loose this bit of weight I gained from the Neurontin. I can be the me that is a size 4 & wears platform heels everywhere. The me I was 4 years ago, sure I hurt & had times when I couldn't walk cause my legs wouldn't work, but hey those days were few & far between.

I went yesterday to the dr to talk about my prognosis since the assistance office sent me a letter saying I had to either get back to work or apply for SSDI. I asked if he thought I ought to apply, expecting him to say either he had no opinion or maybe. He said that normally he doesn't suggest it to people, but in my case it'd be a very good idea too & he'd help any way he could. I feel a bit gutted by that I guess. I'm only on my early 30s, I should be applying for social security. I guess this answers my question as to if I am disabled or not.

4 comments:

One Sick Mother said...

Crossing that line into SSDI is a tough one. I have been there, so I definitely understand. I fully expected NOT to be approved, and was amazed when I was approved first time. I guess the government is less deluded than me.

Queen Slug said...

I am honestly scared. I didn't think I was this sick, I really thought we brace me up & I'd be fine, people with all kinds of disabilities can work, so I was sure I'd get to a point where I could.

I am trying to focus on the fact not many single moms get to stay home with their kids full time. That is one blessing to come of this.

One Sick Mother said...

Your life isn't over. There may be a point in the future, when you can work. In the meantime; you can't, so go ahead and apply. It doesn't have to be a forever thing. It is a "for now" thing and that's OK.

And you are right. It is a huge plus to be able to stay home with the little one. People say that kids thrive when Mom works, but in my experience they thrive even more when Mom is home. My kids teachers and well ...everyone who works with them have mentioned that they have done a lot better since I have been home.

Queen Slug said...

I'm thinking maybe I can sloooooooowly get a degree doing online classes. That might be an option to improve my chances to work again. I'll just have to figure out what I want to be when I grow up, lol.

I think Toad has enjoyed having me home & I think it's been good for her. I think kids do best when mom is doing best for herself. For me that's being home, I would lay on the sofa & cry for 2 days after a 8 hour day at work. I don't think that was good for any child.