02 December 2008

Got some things accomplished & Migraines & Headaches

Well 1st up I got a few things checked off my medical to do list. I did get in for the heart echo & thankfully things look good with that, just some MVP. My PT got tired of the hoops the insurance company was making us jump thru, so she told me they have a fund for people who don't have insurance or who have crappy insurance & need DMEs & that she would get me crutches from that fund. They've come in & I should be getting them this afternoon. Also had the casting done for my orthotics, should take 2 weeks for those to come in. We'll see how those go & if needed we'll adjust or make new ones. Hopefully they'll work fine. So the only things left are finger splints & knee braces. Plus I still have 1 of my migraine types totally uncontrolled to work on.

Which brings me to the second topic today, headaches. It seems I don't mention my other medical issues because EDS takes up so much of my mind. I was dx'ed with migraines without aura at 14 & was put on Midrin, didn't stop them, but did help me be able to fall asleep so I could ignore them & I thought that was a very good thing. When I was 18 it was decided that since I was having 4-10 of them a month I ought to be on a preventive, enter Inderal. That was an evil med, I had the most horrific dreams I have ever had & I had a nightmare disorder when I was young. So I stopped that ASAP & went back to my Midrin. When I was 19 or so my sister was put on this miracle drug, Imitrex. She gave me 2 of them to try & they would really reduce my migraines to next to nothing. Somewhere around 18 I discovered I did have an aura, it was a buzzing in my ears, it was my aura for about 2 or 3 years, but then while I would still get it, it no longer was an aura, but an irritating thing. When I was 24 or so I got my first visual aura, that was strange. I still get my aura migraines & Imitrex still kicks their butt. I get 1-4 a month of these since I figured out aspartame was a trigger, before that it was 4-8 a month cause I just about lived on Diet Coke. I miss Diet Coke a lot, haven't had it since early summer.

I also get aura only migraines, there is no headache just the aura & it will last for ages, then I get this odd pressure feeling in my head, but it doesn't hurt. No clue what that's all about, but I don't much care for it. Those a pretty rare, few a year.

I also get 2 other headaches, my everyday headache & my nasty assed common headache. The everyday one is a low level headache that I can, for the most part ignore. I've had it for a very long time. I know by the time I was 14 I lived on Advil, I was taking as many as I could afford. Some days I would take 20, others 100. I know it was there when I was 12, before that I don't think it was everyday, but I know I had nasty headaches all the way back to kindergarten & they were common, but I don't think they were everyday. It's at the back of my head near the base of the skull. Sometimes (read 2-8 times a month) they will switch, with no warning they get worse. It's as though someone is turning a dial up, they go from 2-4 on the pain scale to 7-9. My neuro says these are migraines also. I'm still not sure I believe her on that. I has a MRI & structurally things seem fine. I from time to time wonder about Chiari, but my brain butt (I can never remember the correct name for that bit that effects Chiari, sorry) is way high up on the laying down, so there is no way a Dr is going to order a sitting up one. I also wonder if it's not the tiny bones up at the top that are just under the skull dislocating. I have some ugly click & snap noises with all my neck & head movements. So right now I am just marking on the calendar each day I have a headache & each day I have a "migraine". I don't take anything for the daily headaches. I take Ultram for my EDS pain & I just take an extra one when I get the "migraines" & if it's there at bedtime still I take a Flexeril. Nothing makes either go away, the Ultram does nothing for the everday headaches & it only turns the "migraines" down a notch or two. The Flexeril does help both a small bit.

Anyhow there is my history of headaches.

2 comments:

Drake said...

I get "silent" migraines, which is most likely more the Palinopsia, seeing as it's classified as a crossover between migraine's and seizures.

I get visual migraines with auras every six or so months and dang it's irretating.

"just some MVP" mehe... I wish I could be so nonchalant about my two VP's ;D

Orthotics is a life saver! I end up walking on my toes without them. I guess it just feels better than walking flat feet without any arch support.

I hope all goes well. Still waiting to hear when I am getting a shoulder brace...

I swear, one of these days, I will end up looking like the "Michellin Man"

Queen Slug said...

Ugh, I get all sorts of visual crap. I hate it, tons of snow, trails, floaters. It's a pain.

Well I emailed my doc to see if I would no longer have to take antibiotics before every dental thing & surgery since he said it was mild. Seems he meant more that it was mild for someone with a connective tissue disorder & I'm still stuck with the antibiotics. If I had any spare heart valves I'd send 'em your way. ;)

I am a bit worried if the orthotics will be comfortable or not.

I figure I might end up as the bionic woman with all the odds & ends by the time I'm an old woman, lol.